Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Charmed Life

I come from a privilege background. My parents provided all the things to raise healthy, intelligent, and self-determined children. They didn’t spare their love nor the rod when it came to handing out reward and punishment. My parents scrambled and scraped up all the money possible to make sure my brother and I went without needing or wanting things. When most families were trying to keep up with Joneses, we had the Joneses keeping up with the Babbs. We were a powerhouse family. The Babb family were considered noble in little Lexington, Kentucky.

From my roots, I have been able to grow and branch off into directions that only a few people could understand. My hunger for life forces me into peculiar situations and even better adventures. Growing up in a predominately Anglo-American town, I wanted to have the official Black college experience. At Morehouse College, I met some like-minded brothers and many with different mind sets. I met many brothers from the African-American bourgeoisie. It was a different world. Morehouse College was the first of many experiences that opened my eyes to social, economic, political differences between people of the same racial identity. I wanted more than just the usual “Black” experience; I wanted a grand life experience. As my branches continued to grow toward the heavens, I captured more invigorating experiences. I was able to become part of the “cool” kids, travel to Japan, and enjoy my collegiate matriculation. But, that was still not enough for a young man growing into a giant.

Fast forward to the present day, I’ve traveled and lived throughout Asia. I also lived in the Pacific and lived in many metropolitan cities throughout the United States. I am continuing my education in the industry of my dreams. I’m living a charmed life.

All the virtues that have made my journey pleasant, come from the people in my past. I thank them all for contributing to my life. I know there will be more people added to this list of beautiful and ugly people. I know there are lessons from all encounters, and I have only begun to learn. Let’s see how much more charming this life can be?!?

No comments: