Friday, January 25, 2008

I’m Focused

My vision is poor, but that won’t stop me from focusing on my goals. I want to be a legend. Not only a legend, I want to be a living legend. I want to appreciate others appreciating my marvelous work. As men, we are bred to work. We are told a man defines himself by his caliber of work. The ultimate level of appreciation is to be considered legendary for your body of work. So, I’m chasing the crown. I have been floundering around for the last 30 years searching for something that moves me spiritually, mentally, and physically. Well, maybe not physically. But, you get the picture.

Now, I’ve found that art. I have found something that can make me legendary. It is like running into a prophet that points you down an unknown path. You know the path is for you, but you have to remain focused on the goal and not allow the things around you to distract you from the path. You have to not only envision the goal, but focus on the plan to get you to the goal. It is not enough to focus on the goal. The goal is only part of the achievement. The full achievement is reached when you leave an imprint on all those along the journey. Thus, the journey transforms into the goal. The so-called goal becomes a launching point for the next goal. As a result, your legend births the circle of life. On this circle of starting and achieving goals, the goal becomes making an imprint on the lives of those you encounter on your path.

You become more focused on leaving an imprint in the hearts of people; therefore, your goal evolves into something less tangible than your mental, spiritual, and physical. Your goal becomes relationships, experiences, knowledge, wisdom, and a slew of other virtues. The focus falls from goals and becomes those things our heart truly seeks. Legendary status follows focused energy on that reaches beyond our tangible and intangible existence and into the existence of others.

Permanent imprints make a man legendary.

I’m focused, man.

--- Jay-Z

No comments: